Recent changes in the law have altered the process for obtaining a License to Carry or a Firearms Identification Card in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Review the information below to become familiar with the process. If you have any questions, please call the Norton Police Department at 285-3300.
Applicants must be 21 years old to obtain a License to Carry. Applicants must be 18 years old to obtain a Firearms Identification Card. Applicants 15-18 years old may obtain an FID with written consent from their parent or legal guardian.
First-time applicants must attend and successfully complete a certified Basic Firearms Safety Course by an instructor approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS & FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD
- Completed application form typed or printed legibly.
- Copy of certificate from Massachusetts approved firearms safety course. No certificate is required for renewal applicants.
- A non-refundable check or money order payable to the Town of Norton:
New LTC and FID $100
Renewal LTC and FID $100
Renewal-Over age 70 Free
FID under age 18 $25
- A chemical propellant permit is $25.00 and is only required for applicants under the age of 18. Persons over the age of 18 do not need a license to possess or purchase chemical propellant.
- Those with expired licenses will still be considered renewal applicants.
- No photographs are needed.
Drop off applications at the front desk or by mail, Attn: Deputy Chief Jackson. For new applicants, you will be contacted for interview and fingerprinting. For further information on the firearms law, please visit www.mass.gov/firearms-services Any further questions regarding the licensing process, contact Dep. Chief Todd Jackson at 508-285-3302 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on firearms law, please click here.