Can I do the construction myself or do I have to be licensed?

Section 109.1.1 of the Mass State Building Code states that no structural work shall be done without a Construction Supervisor's License (CSL).  A homeowner can do work on his/her own home without a license provided that if the homeowner engages a person for hire to do such work that the homeowner shall act as construction supervisor.